To celebrate the beginning of the end of Breaking Bad, I sought out to make these cupcakes, but Party City ran out of light blue rock candy (naturally) and I simply didn’t have enough time. I did, however, invest in a container of Wilton’s Blue Sugar Gems from Vons that also suspiciously looked like the blue meth Walter White and Jesse Pinkman infamously make on the AMC series…
(Beware: There may be spoilers!)
So I was definitely not going to let them go to waste. I decided cookies were the way to go, since I had to work that day and then I’d head to my friend James’ premiere party that night. I shared some of the batch with my coworkers first and they were such a hit! The “sugar gems” are really delicious and not too hard on the teeth. I wound up making the cookies again for my series finale watch party a few weeks later. The finale party also had fried chicken (Los Pollos Hermanos!) and bacon, but the influence of food on Breaking Bad is a whole other post entirely.
Back to these cookies – the recipe is simple, quick and easy.
- Premade Sugar Cookie or Funfetti Dough (1 roll or box)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (1 container)
- Wilton's Blue Sugar Gems (1 container)
- Make the cookies as per the directions on the dough. I chose premade dough due to time, but you can definitely make your own.
- After cooling, apply frosting to the cookies.
- Sprinkle the sugar gems onto the frosting! Beware: Your hands may turn blue.
- Allow to cool in fridge before serving.