Los Angeles is not only home to some really awesome tacos, but fusion tacos are a thing here as well. These days, tacos aren’t just Mexican, but they can feature fillings that have roots in so many other different types of cuisine. Mondo Taco in Santa Monica does just that, featuring tacos with fun names and flavors from around the globe. “Mondo” means awesome in English and “world” in Italian and that’s a pretty accurate name for this super cool taco joint!
I got to try a whole bunch of cool tacos from their extensive during my lunch visit:
- Thailicious: grilled chicken, chipotle peanut sauce, crushed peanuts, cilantro, onions
- El Greco: grilled lamb, tzatziki, diced tomato
- Sister Sledge: soyrizo, avocado, cilantro, jalapeño, onion, Thousand Island
- Garlic Bomb: mushrooms, crispy onions, goat cheese, garlic aioli
- Viet Yum: grilled shrimp, cabbage, fresh lime, chili sesame oil
- Crazy Fish: panko crusted fish, pico de gallo, Thousand Island
- Fancy Fish: grilled fish, poblano, pico de gallo, cilantro crème
I loved all of the tacos, along with their creative names and flavors, but I have to say I enjoyed the Garlic Bomb, Sister Sledge, and Fancy Fish more than I expected I would! For dessert, I got a treat in the form of their Panna Cotta, which comes with the most amazing blueberry puree — and it was served with a smile on top (literally), which I loved. Highly recommend it! And of course, there was some chips, salsa, and yummy guacamole.
Many thanks to Mikal and his team for a great lunch with awesome service! Check out the food porn below.